A suprise visit!

On Wednesday afternoon I was finishing a busy morning of errands when I heard a voicemail from my Dad saying that he was coming in on a flight to Travis AFB (about 1.5 hrs north), and would be arriving about an hour from when I got the message! Thankfully it was naptime so I just went home to grab a few extra diapers and water and then the kids slept while I enjoyed a peaceful drive up...ahh...

Not knowing how long we'd have with him, we tried to savor each moment! We were lucky that he was able to stay nearly 5 days with us, and we sure packed in the fun.

The "smiling airplane" outside the AF museum right near the passenger terminal at Travis AFB. I love going to bases because it makes me feel like a kid again...I sort of get a giddy feeling seeing all those planes! Dad made the comment about how huge these planes seem compared to the nice sleek ones that the AF makes now.


On Friday we took a jaunt down to Natural Bridges beach (my fave) in Santa Cruz. Dad was a huge help with the kiddos.


There was a surprising amount of wind and chill...probably not the "california weather" most people expect, but Dad didn't complain one bit.

Making Natalie into a mermaid.

The kids really enjoyed finding anenomes in the tide pools and even found a natural slide on one of the cliffs - very fun!


As soon as we got back from the beach we packed the guys up to head off to the Father & Sons campout put on by the church. Great timing for Dad to be able to join! These guys know how to do dutch ovens! 4 cobblers stacked on top of each other - luckeee!

Nate and Lucas enjoying their gourmet breakfast. Unfortunately Lucas caught a cold (probably from the cold & windy beach) and was pretty miserable in the night...but all survived to tell the tale. :)

We girls had our own "campout" in the family room. Natalie slept in her self-made 'tent' and kept waking up when the quilt kept falling down that covered her head and asked me to fix it for her. But I'm sure we got more sleep than the guys did.

I didn't get a picture (will post one soon), but Dad gave me a wonderful gift of help with the garden. He really has a green thumb and I have a wanna-be green thumb - so having his help to actually get things planted while chasing little ones around was HUGE for me. We've worked so hard over the last 3 years to get the garden area ready, and finally - it's planted and green things are growing!!! We even had a 'christening' from heaven in the form of rain that very night!

We Love you 'Gramps'! (Natalie's new name for Grandpa!) Thank you so much for the special time we spent together!!

Comments

Popular Posts