On Being a Martha

I love this Minerva Teichert picture of Mary and Martha. I saw it today and it made me stop and think. I am a Martha. I love being a Martha! But I didn't always feel that way...
Growing up it was a little hard to have such an 'old' sounding name. We moved a lot (military brat) and I was pretty shy. So every year, first day at the new school, the teacher would call out my full name and I'd put my hand up timidly, wanting to hide behind my desk as the kids whispered "Martha?? like Martha Washington??" or "Marsha Marsha Marsha!" I quickly asked them to call me Marcie but never totally escaped the teasing. If only I knew then what I learned later!
When I was 15 my wise and bold Young Women's leader learned how embarrassed I was about my name - and that was the end of it. "what?! you don't like your name?? Why Martha was one of Jesus' best friends!" Well, that was a different spin on the matter! Soon after I remember looking up the scripture references and my embarrassment turned to utter pride (the good kind, I think :). John 11:5 "Now Jesus loved Martha". That's pretty special!!
Now, being the 'housekeeper' of the home I often reflect on Martha and the "cumbered about much serving" interaction with the Savior and Mary. I love how gently he reminds her to not be critical of Mary and her choice - but instead to see the good in her. We are judged less by our actions and more by the motives in our hearts. I can only imagine the precious truths that Martha missed out on that day because her mind was too occupied with critical, temporal thoughts. But I also imagine that after that loving rebuke she took his words humbly to heart, and became truly converted, because she declared with boldness "yea Lord, I believe that thou art the Christ, the son of God, which should come into the world."
So, with both an amazing Grandmother and angel mother named Martha, and my own sweet daughter with the middle name and a beautiful neice named Martha, I'd say I'm in pretty good company!! And Martha Washington - now that's a woman I can't wait to meet someday! All women of faith and courage and service and humility. A name to bear with pride! (the good kind :)

I had no idea your name was Martha!
ReplyDeletei like this post
ReplyDelete