Good day or bad day?

(Another catch up post from 2015!)

I was remembering when I first started a journal when I was a little girl. It was right around the time our family first moved out of the country, when I was eight, and I was experiencing so many new things that I had to write them down.

 I remember writing not just about events but about feelings, and trying to figure out the 'secrets' to what made it a good day or a bad day. At the bottom of each page I would give the day a little assessment as to how good or bad it was.

Over the years, through dozens and scores of journals, my style of writing has changed. But I think deep down I still mentally do sort of the same thing - assessing the kind of day I had based on events and feelings.

But lately - it's taken me how many years to figure this out? - I've had an epiphany.

Good day/bad day really has very little to do with what events happened or feelings I have. Really, it has almost everything to do with the choices I made. Each day brings it's own gifts and it's own challenges, some better or worse than others. But what 'makes it a good day' is somewhat suprising.

Lately I've been trying to figure out how to help my children understand the importance of finishing all their school subjects every day. When their (and my) attitudes are good, we can get through our entire plan and have a great day. When attitudes are poor, we're tired or grumpy, it's a lot harder to do that, but it's completely possible to still 'turn the day around' and have a good day.

Here's the epiphany:

Finishing school (or any other task) is important, but that is not what really matters in the long run, to God. What really matters is - did we treat others with love and kindness today? Did we repent quickly if we made mistakes - including saying sorry to others we hurt? Did we comfort and strengthen one another when weak? Did we turn to the Lord for help when we were weak? Did we take time to think, to feel, to learn, to try something hard with God's help?

If I can answer yes to one or more of those questions - it was a good day!!

Comments

Popular Posts