Easter joys

We had a lovely Easter this year. Preparing for it is more and more special each year as the children are better able to understand its true meaning (and we adults are too for that matter!)



The highlight of the season was singing in the choir. The selections were so beautiful both musically and lyrically. One song's lyrics went "joy upon joy can our hearts have room?" -I can certainly relate to that feeling. There are days and moments when I feel my heart cannot contain all the joy I feel. The sweet moments with my family. The knowledge I have of a Savior who loves me unconditionally and always lets me 'try again' when I fall short, who sends me very personal messages of encouragement through the scriptures and the spirit. Where in the world would I be without him? I shudder to think.

The other highlight of Easter was helping Natalie prepare to give the scripture in primary. This was a big deal for her since she has backed out several times already. We choseJohn 11:25 Christ's declaration to Martha just prior to raising Lazarus: "I am the resurrection and the life, he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." She memorized it and practiced it faithfully every day and then when Sunday came and it was time to give it, she was really afraid and decided she didn't want to do it. I said a silent prayer for her and didn't push her. By the end she found the courage to do it and she just glowed. I could tell she felt really good inside. That was such a triumph for her!!

To back track a little...Friday was our park day group easter egg hunt - a real fun treat for the kids. It was simple, well-organized and not just about the candy - there were everything from squishy lizards to stickers and coins in the eggs.

Lucas insisted on carrying around his container of apples along with his eggs.

Natalie did a good job finding lots of extra eggs (there was a cap of '12' per child) and then re-hiding them for the little kids.

We did a Seder dinner on Friday night and really enjoyed it. We lost Lucas early on, but Natalie was quite into it (she loved the grape juice, bitter herbs and the tear water, but didn't touch the latkes). She really seemed to catch on to the idea of redemption from bondage. For the next week she talked in her prayers about 'helping people who were not free' - we've been reading about Moses and the people of King Limhi and Harriet Tubman and others who sought freedom so that concept has been on her mind.


On Saturday we colored eggs (mad scientists at work) and made lots of bread to deliver around to neighbors and friends.

The kids hunted for baskets on Easter morning. The easter bunny kept it simple: animal crackers, chocolate bunnies, and a few leftover treats from the egg hunt on friday. And a story book about the first Easter. They loved it! We were amazed that Natalie remembered exactly where the baskets were hidden the year before, and went to those places first. Her memory astounds me sometimes! Notice that Lucas is wearing his Christmas pj's :)

Elijah enjoying the family time on Easter morning.


Natalie enjoying her 'quiet time' outside in the beautiful sunshine.


About a month ago I was in a store and happened to see all the cute Easter dresses on display and I had a fleeting thought "wouldn't it be fun to learn how to make an easter dress for Natalie?" I shrugged it off thinking I'd never find the time. But then when a neighbor and I got talking about it, I thought I would give it a shot. The kids and I went to the fabric store and Natalie picked out the pattern, the fabric and accents. And then I panicked. I had never even cut out a pattern before let alone sewed more than just straight lines. Thankfully I have many talented seamstress friends, one of whom in particular (who happens to walk on water) literally spent an entire afternoon coaching me through the process, lent me her machine when mine died, and gave me the confidence I needed to plow through and get it done. The wonderful "I did it!" feeling of accomplishment at the end was really worth it. And Natalie loves the dress, which is the best compliment of all.


We had a wonderful group of friends over for dinner on Sunday- everyone brought great food for our feast and it was a delightful evening for adults and kids alike.

We never did get around to doing an easter egg hunt at home. The kids didn't seem to really mind and we still have eggs with candy in them that never were hidden. oh well! there are worse things to leave undone :)

I loved our prophet Pres. Monson's message this month:

"Of Him who delivered each of us from endless death, I testify He is a teacher of truth—but He is more than a teacher. He is the exemplar of the perfect life—but He is more than an exemplar. He is the great physician—but He is more than a physician. He is the literal Savior of the world, the Son of God, the Prince of Peace, the Holy One of Israel, even the risen Lord, who declared, “I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father” (D&C 110:4).

Comments

Popular Posts