Opposition in all things

I have a little 'daily scripture' calendar that sits on our bathroom vanity. Usually I remember to turn it in the morning because that's what I look at while I brush my teeth.

But on the morning of October 30th, I wasn't in my own bathroom brushing my teeth, reading the scripture of the day - I was in the labor and delivery room experiencing the scripture of the day:

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." - 2 Nephi 2:11

Later, in verse 15, the prophet Lehi elaborates: "And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after [God] had created our first parents...it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter."

Can't you just taste the bitter in that face?

And is there anything more wonderfully sweet? :)

So the day I got home from the hospital and read that scripture on my bathroom counter - it hit me like never before - THAT is what the scripture means! With the experience of labor still very fresh on my mind, I realized there is probably no human experience that more profoundly describes the contrast between 'sweet and bitter'. I think that is why laboring naturally is such an incredible blessing - because the joy you feel at the end is truly that much greater after having gone through the whole ordeal.

It also helps give so much more appreciation for our Savior. Few human experiences bring us closer to him than bringing his children into this world, raising them day in and day out, teaching them to endure the bitter so they might prize the sweet.


But, to back track a little and give the birth story...Friday morning, the 29th, I started feeling like I needed to slow way down.

My body just didn't want to get out of bed and I let Grandma and Grandpa take the kids out to Home Depot in the morning while I slept. I'm so glad I did - that was the last chance I had to sleep before baby came!

During our bedtime routine that night, Natalie said a sweet prayer asking for the baby to come soon and be healthy, and Lucas said his very first vocal prayer! It was a really sweet family moment.

Later in the evening at around 9 p.m. I was catching up in my journal and noticed a clear sign that baby was on his way ... finally! We had put in a movie and Mom was massaging my feet while I felt the contractions start coming stronger and closer together. At 10 pm I called Lin, my wonderful midwife who was just starting her duty for the night. She told me I could come in whenever I felt ready, but that we should probably play it safer this time because with Lucas it was a really close call (she made it to the hospital just in time to deliver him).

So off we rode in the drizzling rain along 237 to El Camino Hospital, joking about our exciting Friday date night escapade to the hospital.


Here I am right after arriving at the hospital. Definitely the early stage of labor :)

I was delighted to discover that the same awesome nurse Becky who delivered Lucas would be attending me again - she was totally shocked that I remembered her name (since I had just been updating Lucas' baby book). Lin checked me and I was grateful to know I was a 5 or 6 already (after being only a 1 a few days prior). She got out the birthing ball and had me bounce a little to get things going - which did work.

The contractions lengthened and intensified gradually, and it was nice and quiet in the birthing room. Nate and I read a couple magazine articles in between. Then I got in the tub and Lin even got out cute little battery-operated tea light candles and scented massage oil! It was very relaxing but not really helping things progress much, and I was getting tired. So we went back to the ball, and then things started to get more intense. I pretty much spent the rest of the contractions on my hands & knees or holding on to Nate, with the nurse or Lin applying back pressure, which made a huge difference. Nate was so on top of helping me really relax as each contraction started and stay on top of the 'wave'. At one point Lin said to him "wow, I don't even need to be here! you've got everything covered!"

By 1 a.m. I could feel my strength and endurance waning. By 2 am I was just praying through the contractions and trying to just go limp, deep breaths and relax. I'm sure Nate must have been getting tired too but didn't show it.

But thankfully by this time Elijah was ready too and I heard the 'POP' of my water breaking and soon felt the need to push - I was SO grateful for that feeling! But I was exhausted and getting very impatient. I felt like I had almost zero energy left to push. The next half hour was so excruciating I really just want to forget it. Lin told me not to scream but to put that energy into pushing instead, and that really helped. But what helped the most was Nate's suggestion to let me feel the head as it appeared - that made all the difference and gave me the extra motivation to just give it all I had and get the baby out!!

And oh the feeling of holding that little boy in my arms after all of that - can there be any greater joy?!!


Nate with Elijah right after delivery

My tiny bundle of joy :)

Say 'ah'!

Mom & Peter brought the kids by later in the afternoon - we were so excited for their visit! Mom said that at one point Natalie asked her "when are we going to see the newborn babe?"


Lucas was so excited to hold his "Baby Ewijah"


Natalie the 'little Mama' dressed up like a princess (for the Trunk-or-Treat party they headed to afterwards)
She did a great job showing Lucas how to be gentle with Elijah


Lucas definitely wanted some snuggle time of his own


Our growing family :)

The next day was Halloween and it was later in the evening by the time we got discharged and made it home. Both our cell phones had died and so we didn't get to give the folks at home a warning call that we were on our way. So with all the trick-or-treating going on, we decided to do some ourselves and rang the doorbell with our little 'treat' in tow. The kids had fun with that :)

All dressed up to go home - Eli is wearing the "Take Me Home" baby outfit that Nate wore as a newborn.

Wheeled out in style...(Mom made me wear the headband)

Home at last!

Natalie's pet name for Eli is "pumpkin head"

Trick or treat?

I find it very interesting that the next day's scripture (for Oct. 31) on my little daily calendar was this one:

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." - 3 John 1:4

I couldn't say it any better!! We love you so much baby Elijah!!

Comments

Popular Posts