A firm foundation

Today I laid a bunch of bricks down in our backyard where it tends to get really muddy this time of year with all the rain. It was back-breakin' work and I'm all tuckered out, but it was nice to be outside!



As I was laying those bricks, I was being careful to make sure that they were laid as straight and as square as possible (thankfully there was no cement involved here...at least not yet). Natalie was watching and getting excited to see the new patio forming - "look Mom, it's getting all org-nized!" and she danced around on it. Then she asked "why are you doing it?" I laughed and then tried to explain that we wanted to cover up the muddy stuff underneath and have a firmer foundation to walk on. "Okay" was her reply, though she really didn't seem to mind the old way :)

Lucas happily pushed his little stroller along and around the bricks - happy for a smoother path to rush across at faster speeds....goooo Lucas!

As I continued laying the bricks, my mind took an idea and ran.

A firm foundation. Solid ground that won't get muddy when the storms come. One that weeds can't penetrate.

I thought about the song we know and love in the LDS Church:

"How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
is laid for your faith in his excellent word.
What more can he say than to you he hath said,
who unto the Savior...for refuge hath fled?"



That foundation is our faith in Jesus Christ - our example of pure love, our light in the darkness. And his prophets who are his special witnesses. And the scriptures that testify and teach of his ways.

But what happens when that foundation is threatened? Even by the very institutions that promised to defend it, or at least defend the right to cling to it? It seems to me that our country - even our world - is encompassed about by the deep waters and fiery trials the song talks about. We may be able to take care of ourselves to some degree, but I believe we cannot sit idly by and watch our liberties be trampled on. Nor can we throw up our hands and say that 'everything will turn out okay in the end'.

Today I came across this quote today from Harold B. Lee, former Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (c.1972-3). It seems more applicable today than ever:


"We are living in a time of great crisis. The country is torn with scandal and with criticism, with faultfinding and condemnation. There are those who have downgraded the image of this nation as probably never before in the history of the country. It is so easy to clamber onto the bandwagon and to join the extremists in condemnation, little realizing that when they commit their actions, they are not just tearing down a man; they are tearing down a nation, and they are striking at the underpinnings of one of the greatest of all the nations of all the world—a nation that was founded upon an inspired declaration we call the Constitution of the United States. The Lord said it was written by men whom He raised up for that very purpose, and that Constitution stands today as a model to all nations to pattern their lives [D&C 101:77, . (Ye Are the Light of the World 340)

"Some time ago the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve were engaged in a meeting of serious import, and I said something at that time unpremeditated, but I couldn’t have said it better had I taken a month to prepare it. I said: . . . We should not be concerned about finding out what is wrong with America, but we should be finding what is right about America and should be speaking optimistically and enthusiastically about America. (Ye Are the Light of the World 341-42)

"Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all other nations in all the world. This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, men may fail, but this nation won’t fail. I have faith in America; you and I must have faith in America, if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges.

"I plead with you not to preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through." (Ye Are the Light of the World 350-51)





The Constitution of the United States of America means a great deal to me. I firmly believe it is a sacred document written by men who were inspired of God. It is unsurpassed in how it establishes the LAW as the foundation of liberty, not individual people. No-one, not even the president, is above the law. By balancing power between states and the three branches of government, it ensures that the law will be made, interpreted and executed justly and according to the will of the people. It ensures our right to free speech, to vote, to own property, to worship as we choose, to bear arms, to protect against wrongful prosecution. It is such a perfect document that it remains the supreme law of the land over 200 years later.

If you haven't read it in awhile, it's definitely worth a re-read:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

Another thing that brings me a great deal of pride is that I am the descendant of two of the signers of the Constitution: Robert Morris, and Charles Carroll of Carrolton. I hold my head high knowing that my ancestors gave their names, their fortunes, their entire selves to ensure the success of this nation.


As I read various commentaries about the state of our nation and its leadership or lack-thereof, mud-slinging and pointing fingers, I continually fight the urge to get angry and pass the buck to others without taking any personal responsibility. I realize that there is more I can and should be doing to educate myself about what the constitution is all about and what I can be doing to defend it. For me, it is time to return to basics. Back to the foundation. I need to start to ponder in more depth - What IS the constitution? Why is it so foundational to the liberty of this nation? What CAN I be doing to ensure its defense?

For starters - remembering that our true foundation will never fall, brings great strength:

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot desert to his foes;
that soul though all hell should endeavor to shake;
I'll never no never; I'll never no never,
I'll never no never, no never forsake!"

I have recommitted myself to stay rooted in the principles of agency and liberty. I've got a lot more thoughts on this topic (thanks to inspiration from people like Julianne and others who are putting great effort into preserving liberty at the local level) and especially as it relates to parenting. Next post is already forming in the brain: "Agency and Influence" - coming soon!

Comments

Popular Posts