Unsuspecting Corner (A poem)
Once in awhile, it seems the only way to capture the poignant and somewhat intense experiences and feelings of life is through poetry. I am certainly a novice, and do a much better job at appreciating others' work than creating my own. About a month ago I was really struggling to want to continue with our current plans and projects, feeling unfulfilled, confused and out of focus. Yet I could also sense that my angst was largely unnecessary, that God was just patiently waiting for me to come to him for some more light and direction. I knew I needed to reach out in faith for help. As I put pen to paper one evening, this is what happened...
Unsuspecting Corner
by Marcie Hill
Dear God,
I
seem to be
Fumbling,
Stumbling
Along the path
Forgetting where I started or
Where I was headed in the
first place?
Something is so strangely
unfamiliar
About all this
I find myself searching for a
place
To rest
Be planted
Go nowhere!
Anywhere
…But here.
With scenery so familiar, why
am I lost?
Usually I’m one to just enjoy
the adventure!
Delighting
in twists and turns,
Embracing the sweetness of spontaneity,
Stumbling upon unforeseen trails,
Fearlessly fumbling through obstacles,
Reveling in the sight of some new beauty revealed
Just beyond some unsuspecting corner.
Maybe
I’ve grown shortsighted?
Unable to see the most important adventure
Right under my nose?
Could it be I was too guarded and restrained
By my own false limits?
Maybe this is actually
The
big s t r e e
e e t
c h
My wings have been aching for!
Maybe
this is thy loving, mysterious call to the next level of
Non-linear growth,
Unrelenting change,
Life at its unglamorous finest!
So, if I may, I’d like to
begin again…
Dear God,
I sense thee, patiently listening to my feeble cries,
Granting me ears to hear thy whispering
And feet to walk my present path more presently.
Bless me to embrace the softly gliding rhythm of thy time,
Delighting in the possibility of today’s hidden adventures,
Content in the process of striving, not arriving.
Should overeagerness cause me to fumble in my own
shadow,
Help me to stumble upon reminders of thy loving grace.
And fall humbly at thy throne of mercy.
Guard me from the deadly precipice of unfulfilled expectations
From the insatiable need to have what I want when I
want it
And the unrealistic desire for life to always go my
way.
Bring me back down to firm, forgiving
earth
Where I can be planted and keep
stretching
Toward the place
where I came from,
Remembering where home really is.


Comments
Post a Comment