March went marching by...Here goes April too!
Today I am feeling poetic. Here goes...
A Season Late
March walked in with wintry feet
Said hello, then quickened its beat.
"Oh my friends, let's rest awhile,"
I begged the days to no avail.
I lingered while I caught my breath,
Not ready to move on just yet.
Spring means change and growth and pain;
It's much easier simply to stay the same.
Yet all around, brown hills cried out:
"Relieve us from this stunting drought!"
A haunting silence, few birds about;
No blessed rain, just clouds of doubt.
Yet from the silence, small sounds awoke:
Pleas and prayers, a heart that broke.
I feel the drops from heaven sent,
Melting away my heart's relent!
Rain has come, the seeds begun
To sprout, to change, to live for sun.
I too feel stretched, swelled and grown;
Faith filling gaps of what's unknown.
March gloom gives way to April's rush,
Revealing landscapes green and lush.
Peace and Change, mistaken enemies
Walk side by side inside of me.
Haven't written a poem in awhile, and it is a very rusty attempt, but I have felt so struck lately by the metaphor of the drought we have had here in our area, and how it has paralleled my own sense of spiritual drought at times. Even though I studied and worked in "change management", I am certainly not exempt from fearing change! The biggest changes we make in turning toward heaven and towards our Savior are often imperceptible to others on a daily basis, since they often involve seemingly little decisions to forgive, repent, let go, and continue on when we feel like quitting. Just like the "daily dose of living water" is far superior to "sporadic sipping'" (to quote Elder Bednar), those droplets add up and over time to create a change that seems dramatic when looking back.
So it is with the hills near our home...by February it is usually bursting with color and life, but because of the drought it remained brown and depressing for so long. After the huge state wide prayer & fast for rain in our congregations, there was deluge upon deluge, it was amazing! Those hills are now greening up beautifully, even if it is a season late! :)
A Season Late
March walked in with wintry feet
Said hello, then quickened its beat.
"Oh my friends, let's rest awhile,"
I begged the days to no avail.
I lingered while I caught my breath,
Not ready to move on just yet.
Spring means change and growth and pain;
It's much easier simply to stay the same.
Yet all around, brown hills cried out:
"Relieve us from this stunting drought!"
A haunting silence, few birds about;
No blessed rain, just clouds of doubt.
Yet from the silence, small sounds awoke:
Pleas and prayers, a heart that broke.
I feel the drops from heaven sent,
Melting away my heart's relent!
Rain has come, the seeds begun
To sprout, to change, to live for sun.
I too feel stretched, swelled and grown;
Faith filling gaps of what's unknown.
March gloom gives way to April's rush,
Revealing landscapes green and lush.
Peace and Change, mistaken enemies
Walk side by side inside of me.
Haven't written a poem in awhile, and it is a very rusty attempt, but I have felt so struck lately by the metaphor of the drought we have had here in our area, and how it has paralleled my own sense of spiritual drought at times. Even though I studied and worked in "change management", I am certainly not exempt from fearing change! The biggest changes we make in turning toward heaven and towards our Savior are often imperceptible to others on a daily basis, since they often involve seemingly little decisions to forgive, repent, let go, and continue on when we feel like quitting. Just like the "daily dose of living water" is far superior to "sporadic sipping'" (to quote Elder Bednar), those droplets add up and over time to create a change that seems dramatic when looking back.
So it is with the hills near our home...by February it is usually bursting with color and life, but because of the drought it remained brown and depressing for so long. After the huge state wide prayer & fast for rain in our congregations, there was deluge upon deluge, it was amazing! Those hills are now greening up beautifully, even if it is a season late! :)

Thank you, Marcie. Beautiful.
ReplyDelete