For all my mothers

This has been a really extra busy week and I was so consumed with just surviving that I didn't even write in any of the mothers' cards I bought...sadly the cards will just have to wait until next year. Then I stayed up late creating digital cards with nice captions and pictures to send and then when I tried to send them, I realized the pictures were all too huge and wouldn't even email and I didn't have time to figure out how to shrink them down. This morning I was feeling so sad and guilty that I hadn't made time to show a little bit of love to the women who have influenced my life the most. Despite sleeping in and the wonderful breakfast feast Nate and the kids prepared I was not in the 'mothers day spirit'.

Then after teaching my sunday school class I went to the gathering of sisters we have every year in our congregation. The sister speaking was someone I love dearly and she shared excerpts from Elder Uctdorf's Forget-me-Not message from the General Relief Society meeting last year. I remember hearing that message while nursing Elijah in the 'cry room' and crying myself because I felt he was addressing so specifically the very things I needed to hear. Today, again, it was just what I needed to hear - the things I tend to forget so easily: to be compassionate and patient with myself, to understand the difference between good and foolish sacrifices, to be happy now, to remember the 'why' of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and to remember how much God loves and understands me.

That message was the fresh rain my thirsty soul needed today!

So...here is my last minute 'card' that I am sharing with the wonderful Moms in my life, most especially my own angel mother and also my grandmothers, my amazing mother-in-law, my aunts and sisters and sisters-in-law, my sweet stepmother and my dear friends here and around the world. Your influence in my life is so uplifting, so strengthening, and so healing. In just this week alone I know I have interacted with at least two dozen women who have had a deeply positive impact on me and on my mothering. Oh how grateful I am for each of you!!

One of the things I have been trying to do lately is to feel more gratitude. I've been trying to squeeze in a jog in the mornings and while I jog I try to open my heart in thanks to God for all of his gifts. What a difference that has made to my attitude. And at night I try to write a short list of the things I'm grateful for that day. Since I often struggle with a need for 'control' in my life - especially in parenting -this has awakened me to how much good is around me without me having to 'organize' any of it!! It kind of 'puts me in my place' and gives me a much-needed dose of humility. My life is not all about me.

Our bishop put it so well today - I will paraphrase because I was wrestling with kids while listening - that while improving ourselves is important, we don't grow much by focusing on that - we grow the most when we are actively working to help and serve others. My own mother exemplifies this so well! She is so tuned in to the needs of those around her and when things are hard for her she doesn't withdraw, she reaches out and helps those who are having an even harder time than she is. I love that so much.

And, speaking of motherhood, we do have a little bit of 'news' that has started 'leaking out' so we thought it might be best to just share it openly...we have a new little family member on the way!!! For awhile now we have felt somebody 'missing' in our family circle and are so grateful he or she is on their way. We are very excited and of course a little nervous too, since it is very early still and reality is still setting in (due date is early January). We usually wait a bit to share our news but the general exhaustion and overwhelmed-ness of our lives has warranted an explanation in some circles. I am grateful for kind and understanding friends!! :)

Another post is on it's way with some pictures of our latest adventures...

Happy Mothers Day!!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts