The Hills are Alive!

Can't you just hear Maria singing it from the hilltops of Austria....
"the Hills are alive....with the sound of blogging..." Hooray! We are excited to be more than just 'blog followers' and actually contribute something back once in awhile.
(Nate told me that his family actually used the song for a skit once: the family ran all ran onto the stage, sang the first line "the Hills are Alive", and then ran back off. I think that's hilarious!)
Here is the Happy Hill clan now!
Actually, I have to admit that I've been a little fixated on The Sound of Music this year. There's something about having children of my own that has changed my appreciation for that timeless movie. Here's a few reasons why...(since it's apparently 'the thing' to use lists in blogs, here I go...)
1. I totally identify with Maria's free-spirited and semi-rebellious personality. Or maybe it's just Natalie who's helped me rediscover it :) She is fearless. My mom tells me I used to be that way. What happened? I decided I need to learn something new and daring. Like paragliding. I'm totally serious!
Natalie on grandpa's zipline! (she did this at least 50 times)
Paragliders...and if you look closely you can see Mt. McKinley in the background!
2. I started learning to play the guitar this last year and dream of being able to lug it around the countryside with a band of children singing and skipping along with glee. But at this point, I'm lucky to get through a few notes without little fingers trying to steal my pick.
3. I sing 'Edelweiss' to Lucas as his lullaby every night and often choke up in the middle of it...sniff sniff. (I was horrified to find out that Edelweiss is actually not an Austrian folk song but written by Rogers and Hammerstein!?! Told you I was fixated - I watched every extra on the 20th anniversary edition)
I didn't need the lullaby this time...the river did the work....
4. This love of music must be in the genes. It was so wonderful to be part of my brother, Elder Charles Holloman's last two days in the mission field. I heard him bear testimony so powerfully of Jesus Christ in both word and song. I am so proud of him, and so grateful for his example of humble, joyful service. And it's so great to have him home!!
5. I just got back from visiting my mom and family in Alaska and was yet again blown away by the grandeur of God's creations in it's "raw" form. Wildlife everywhere and mountain peaks that make you weep. There are no words or pictures that can completely capture the beauty of that place...except for music. The whole time I was there, I had Sound of Music songs stuck in my head!
A Bull Moose right in the middle of town
Sledding at Portage Glacier
Outside the amazing glacier cavern with Katie
Nate caught his Salmon limit!
Fireweed is gorgeous (and it makes a yummy jelly!)
Mara, Katie, Me, Lucas, Charles (we miss you April!)
6. I missed Nate so much the week we were separated that I found myself dreaming up crazy ways to get back from vacation early. I've realized more than ever just how essential he is to me, and how absolutely lucky I am to have him. Like Maria sings "nothing comes from nothing...nothing ever could...so somewhere in my youth, or childhood, I must have done something good."

I'm so happy you have a blog! what an amazing summer, huh? Hope you are having a good time getting back to normal life again. Love you!
ReplyDelete